Although the official language is Greek, a large majority of people in the tourist industry speaks English.



Euro (€)

Greece is a Member-State of the European Union and uses its uniform currency – the Euro. Greece, as is the case with the other Member-States of the E.U. uses eight coins as follows: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents or lepta in Greek and 1 and 2 Euros. The banknotes are issued in the following denominations: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euros.

Currency exchange rates are clearly displayed in every bank that accepts currency exchange, while credit card holders may acquire money from the ATMs of the collaborating banks. Greek banks are open for the public from 8:00 to 14:30 Mondays to Thursdays and from 8:00 to 13:30 on Fridays. They are closed on Public Holidays. Euros can also be exchanged for notes of other foreign currencies at exchange offices that are situated at the airport and certain main ports, in the larger cities, as well as at many tourist destinations. A passport is required when exchanging currencies.

Credit and debit cards accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops. Some smaller shops, taxis and guesthouse accommodation may only accept cash.


Time Zone

Eastern European Time (EET), UTC +2



Greece has a Mediterranean climate with plenty of sunshine, mild temperatures and a limited amount of rainfall.

Due to the country's geographical position, its rugged relief and its distribution between the mainland and the sea, there is great variation in Greece's climate.

For more info you can visit the National Observatory of Athens


Telephone Codes

The country code for Greece is +30 which will allow you to make an international call to Greece from another country. Greece telephone code 30 is dialed after the IDD (International Direct Dialing). Greece’s country code +30 is followed by an area code and phone number.


Health & Safety issues

If your country of origin is an EU member-state make sure you are a holder of the European Health Card (EHIC) or any other legal EU document issued by your nation’s social security agency. In such cases, the necessary treatment in Greece is provided by the following:

  • the Social Security Institute Health Units (polyclinics) or doctor’s offices in the region
  • Regional clinics (former rural clinics) or the Health Centres of the National Health System
  • the outpatients’ departments of the hospitals.

If your country of origin is not an EU member-state, make sure you have consulted your social security agency for information before travelling.


Emergency  Numbers

  • FIRST AID NATIONAL CENTER (Ambulances): 166
  • SOS DOCTORS : 1016
  • POISONING PHONE CENTER: 210 77 93 777
  • POLICE: 100
  • PET HOSPITAL: 210 6038023- 24 -28 (Attica Region).


Travel documents, Passport & Visa

In order to visit Greece you need to have the following travel documents:

-ID card in the case that your country of origin is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement, you may use your national ID to enter the country and you may stay for a three-month period. In these cases a passport is not necessary, although you will need it in a variety of other transactions, including currency exchange, shopping etc.

-Visa: If your country is not a member of the Schengen Agreement, make sure you obtain further information from the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your country before your trip, or from your travel agency. In case you travel with Visa,  make sure you also have suitable insurance coverage for emergency medical or other needs.

-Passport: If your country of origin is one of the following non-EU countries, your passport allows you to visit Greece and remain in the country for up to three months (90 days) within a six-month period: Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Vatican, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, USA, Uruguay, Venezuela. Find out more on the official webpage of the Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs


Use of electronic devices

Electric power voltage in Greece is 230 V / 50 Hz and the plugs are F type. To avoid the danger of short circuit, make sure to have in your suitcase the necessary transformers / adaptors for your electronic devices or make sure that this will be provided by the relevant socket.


Consumer's protection

During your stay in Greece, as a consumer you are protected throughout your transactions by the Greek legislation. In case of omission or infringement of the above, you can call to Tourist Police in 1571 (24/7 in operation). In the event you need to file a complaint, you may contact with the Hellenic Ministry of Tourism, sending an email in the following address:



There are no hard and fast rules for tipping in Athens. If you are happy with the service, a 10% tip is customary, particularly in restaurants, bars or cafés.

For more info you can visit