The vision of the Department of Business Administration is to establish itself as one of the leading and internationally-recognized departments of business administration, and to be at the forefront of business education in Greece, producing managers with a high level of training, innovative thinking, and business intelligence.
The mission of the Department of Business Administration is to:
- promote excellence in education and to make the best use of knowledge in order to produce management graduates with values;
- engage in and support research which can meet contemporary economic, social, and business challenges and foster innovation in business administration;
- produce graduates who are capable of recognizing the challenges in the business environment and can contribute to entrepreneurial progress;
- develop managers with organizational, consulting, communication, and interpersonal skills, who are able to become mid-level and senior managers in businesses and organizations in the private and public sector;
- shape the leaders of the future, who are able to play a vital role in economic and social life at the national and international level;
- encourage professional specialization and training through brief, flexible lifelong learning education and training programmes (on either an attendance or distance learning basis); and
cultivate an outward-looking approach and collaboration with academic, research, social, and other institutions to advance entrepreneurship and benefit society.
Strategy of the Department of Business Administration
All members of the Department adhere to the enduring values that the Department has adopted and promotes and make an essential contribution to the effective achievement of its objectives. The strategic pillars and individual objectives of the Department are closely aligned with the strategy of the University. These are:
To create, disseminate, and apply vital knowledge and continuously adapt the curriculum for all programmes in light of academic developments and the needs of society, while adhering to the principles of research ethics. In particular, the Department aims:
- to produce graduates with values, who will help to overcome contemporary research, social, and economic challenges;
- to promote and disseminate its work (educational, research, cultural, and social) to the academic community and society;
- to develop and expand the academic fields and areas covered by the Department;
- to ensure that the fields of study of the Department are up to date and in line with new research trends and academic developments;
- to maintain and enhance the Department’s competitive advantage in developing applied knowledge in the fields of business administration, management, marketing, production, accounting and finance;
- to attract and retain high-calibre academics with an international reputation; and
- to provide incentives to recognize and promote excellence.
To provide a high standard of education and training to students. In particular, the Department aims:
- to incorporate innovation in the education process;
- to encourage students to adopt an analytical, synthetic, critical, and creative way of thinking in all subjects;
- to enhance students’ active participation in the education process;
- to use modern methods, techniques, and tools, with an emphasis on ICT and open educational resources, in order to improve teaching and facilitate access to knowledge;
- to strengthen the role of the Department’s Internal Evaluation Committee to ensure the quality of its undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes;
- to develop and put in place a system to modernize and upgrade the curriculum for all programmes in accordance with the latest educational approaches and international standards; and
- to develop foreign-language educational activities (undergraduate, postgraduate, lifelong learning, and summer school programmes) in fields that will attract international students.
To create a favourable environment to encourage and support staff and students. In particular, the Department aims:
- to support academic and research staff;
- to support administrative staff;
- to shape a culture that fosters continuous improvement of knowledge and skills among members of the Department and develop ways to achieve this;
- to strengthen the faculty mentorship programme;
- to attract funding in order to be able to provide scholarships and financial support to students;
- to strengthen the role of internal evaluation, involving all parties and using the results as a means of improving the academic standing of the Department.
To promote research and innovation, helping to strengthen the link between applied research and industry. In particular, the Department aims:
- to expand the Department’s research laboratories and attract new research staff;
- cultivate academic research and increase the Department’s research performance;
- support new researchers, doctoral candidates, and teaching staff to produce research of a high standard;
- to advance departmental and interdepartmental research collaboration;
- to promote research collaboration with respected universities and research centres;
- to foster collaboration between the Department’s researchers and public and private enterprises and strengthen the relationship between research and industry; and
- to disseminate the research achievements of the Department.
To cultivate an outward-looking and international approach, extending and strengthening international networks and strategic alliances with academic and other bodies. In particular, the Department aims:
- to attract high-calibre students;
- to promote strategic alliances with academic departments of international standing;
- to encourage student mobility through Erasmus+ programmes;
- to develop foreign-language courses for EU Erasmus+ students; and
- to build a dynamic community of alumni with close links to the Department.
To improve and extend infrastructure and services to ensure that the Department has the necessary logistical resources and can function effectively and efficiently. In particular, the Department aims:
- to accelerate its digital transformation in order to develop more effective and efficient services; and
- to use additional resources to ensure the Department’s strong position through collaborations, initiatives, and educational and research programmes.
To strengthen ties with the local community and extend the social impact of the Department’s activities. In particular, the Department aims:
- to develop alliances with local and national bodies to transfer knowledge, thus helping to overcome social and economic challenges;
- to build ‘entrepreneurial bridges’ with the local business and financial community; and
- to create and implement a powerful communication strategy.